What is ESOS and the EU EED?
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment scheme in the UK, requiring large organizations to undertake energy audits every four years. ESOS is driven by the EU Energy Efficiency Directive (EED) so there are equivalent schemes to undertake efficiency audits across all EU member states.
The scheme incorporates all organizational energy consumption from buildings, processes and transport.
Do I need to comply?
You need to comply with ESOS if your UK operations meet either of the following criteria on the qualification date of the 31st December 2018:
- Employs more than 250 people, or;
- Has an annual turnover in excess of €50m and a balance sheet over €43m.
There are slight variations in the qualification criteria for each EU country. If you have EU operations we can help determine your compliance obligations across Europe.
What are the benefits of compliance?
- Energy Awareness: Improved understanding of your organizational carbon footprint and energy usage.
- Costed Recommendations: Actionable efficiency improvements, highlighting lifetime savings and ROI.
- Non-compliance costs: Avoidance of costly fines for non-compliance.
- Director Sign-off: All audits must be signed off at Director level, increasing the likelihood of implementation.
Start your compliance journey now
To comply with ESOS a 12 month period of energy consumption, covering the qualification date of the 31st December 2018, is required for review.
This means that you can ensure early compliance by starting to collate consumption data now.
If you have operations throughout Europe we can develop a consolidated EED compliance approach, identifying opportunities that can be rolled out across your organization to gain maximum benefit from your compliance process.